Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Trials




Traffic Lights are Trials


Father,
I believe that you were speaking to me tonight and I want to put down my thoughts before this revelation passes. We were talking about going through red lights; you gave me a picture how red lights are only designed to help control the flow of traffic along any given roadway. Yet in our self centered life style we think of them as our enemy, something to avoid at all cost. We look for ways around them; take “short cuts” trying to save time, for we think that the light is there to waste our time, to make us late, to frustrate us. Then when we can’t avoid them we approach them with gritted teeth, wondering will it change before I have a chance to go through, will it make me late? When the light turns yellow we get this horrible feeling in the pit of our stomach and do the unthinkable, we go through the red light.

Traffic lights are part of our travels. We should realize how important they are, how they can save time, and even bring us in harmony to the roadway. Sounds a bit far fetch? Maybe, but if you can relate to the feelings that a red light can stir with in you, than perhaps, you can take it one more step and see them in a spiritual way. Traffic lights are like trials in our life.

Like a traffic light, we avoid trials in just the same way. We find ways around them sit and grumble when we our caught by one, or we go through them as fast as we can hoping that it won’t get critical (red) while we are in the midst of them. James tells us how we need to embrace them; James 1:2-4 (NLT)

        “Dear brothers and sisters, whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy. For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything.”

 James does not say if trouble comes your way but whenever it does. He assumes that we will have troubles. Trials will be part of our lives. We can try to dodge them all we want. But if we want to find a benefit from them we need to treat each trial as an opportunity, an opportunity for Joy.

Preparing for the Journey

Finding peace in the midst of our trials may not seem possible sometimes. Yet I can tell you that when I prepare my trip in advance I find that traffic as well as traffic lights does not deter me from having a pleasant journey. Still no one enjoys waiting behind a long line of cars only to be stopped in front of a three eyed menace. How can we prepare our selves in such a way to find peace during the most troublesome times? Even when we do prepare, things happen that can cause the greatest plans to fall apart.

Prepare in the full knowledge that trials will come. We do not look for them. We do not plan for them. But we do know that they will come. Sometimes trials come because of our own choices that we have made. Than there are times that we have trials that are just a part of our life. Living in an evil world brings us along side of evil trials. Trails are as plentiful as red lights. Our character is made on how we get through them.

Father,
I understand that there will be trials in my life. You know that I don’t care for them. Sometimes I just don’t understand how you allow them to happen. You already know what I am going to say yet I have to get it out. Sometimes I am mad and angry at you for allowing some of the trials to come into my life. There I said it. I do understand that loving me does not exclude me form trials. For I know that many of them have been the result of my own choices.

I know that you forgive me for being angry at you. I somehow know that it grieves you when I am. But if I want to be totally honest I do get upset with you at times. Lately it has not lasted for to long. I know that in the middle of my trials you are with me. You are there to show me the way and to comfort me. Now with that said can we hurry a little so that I can pass this present one?

Ok, I will be patient. I know that you are my father and you love me. I also know that there is nothing you desire more than to wrap you arms around me and tell me it will be OK. But I have to let you do that. I have to trust you enough even when in the middle of my trails to find your shoulder, seek your face, and rest on your lap.  I trust you! I will rest in your arms. I will find your joy. I want to grow in your love.

Ron








No comments:

Post a Comment